Money is frequently reported as the top reason couples argue. For financial woman readers in marriages or serious relationships, here are five money tips for couples to keep money stress out of the picture so you can focus on being happy together.
Much of the stress around money can be avoided by simply getting on the same page with your man about priorities and financial goals.
Here are five ideas to make that happen:
- Set up a regular money date to update and review progress toward your financial goals. Make this fun; you can do this over a dinner date or a latte.
- Recognize that childhood money beliefs are likely different. Talk about your childhood money beliefs and how they may be affecting your adult views on money and investing.
- Share your ultimate dreams about what you want money to provide. This will definitely create teamwork that will lead you closer to your financial goals.
- Agree to first discuss money spending or investing decisions over a set amount. This lays the foundation so that you each have some freedom, but you also respect that you are part of a team.
- Be a team. While both of you will want to be involved in bigger financial planning issues, like monitoring your investment accounts and goal creation, divide and conquer ongoing tasks such as bill review and paying.
Discuss these ideas with your man. Schedule time to take these steps on your calendar. Once you are on the same page with your money, you’ll find that many areas of your relationship benefit.