When was the last time you left your comfort zone? As I write to you today I am unreeling from speaking at the Texas Conference for Women yesterday. I was scheduled to do an expert exchange on Savvy Smart Spending and finding undervalued investments to a group of up to 150 women, followed by a book signing. I’ve been speaking more over the past two years, and even though the live Q and A format wouldn’t allow me to prepare for the presentation, I thought to myself, “Piece of cake; I can easily talk about women and money all day.”
Two days before the event I got a call from the organizer asking me if I would emcee for financial expert, David Bach; this included a very brief speech before David’s event, followed by an introduction. I knew David would attract a huge audience. Not only this, but David is THE Latte Guy, who has even appeared on Oprah. “Of course I can do this for you,” slipped out before doubt had time to slip in.
Why am I writing all about me? Because I want to share with you that leaving our comfort zone is called for if we want to grow, and personal growth is almost certainly required for creating the life we truly want. This is true in every area, whether it’s our exercise routine or our money. What does leaving our comfort zone look like for women and money?
- Facing and taking responsibility for our current financial situation
- Taking actions to increase our income; this may include owning your skills, attending a networking event and talking to strangers, asking for a raise, or making a plan to leave your job
- Selling your home and moving to a different house or city
- Reading a Wall Street Journal or Investor’s Business Daily until it becomes comfortable
- Meeting with your financial advisor and asking the right questions with confidence
What is the very next step that you need to take right now to create a truly rich life? I’d love to hear in the comment section below.